Tuesday, March 27, 2007

What will happen on Saturday: Part 2

Looking back on my last post, I realize that it came across as an endless rant about how fouls affect the play of big men, leading to a completely pointless conclusion that whether Hibbert, Oden, both, or neither get into foul trouble, Ohio State will win. Sorry for wasting you time, but trust me on the pick. Ohio State advances. Now on to the main event.

Florida vs. UCLA
Oh baby! This one has me excited. Really excited. I thought I was excited after Blair Phillips blocked the game-winning field goal attempt against Oklahoma, and I was, but that wasn't as prolonged as this one. I am jacked for this game.

On UCLA's side, they are on a serious role. Although the Kansas game was relatively close, it was clear who was the better team. This UCLA team is better than last year's. Aaron Afflalo has emerged as one of the best players in America. Darren Collison is the glue and he is better suited to Ben Howland basketball (or "BenBall" as some refer to it as) than Jordan Farmar was. This team was the most consistent team in the country up until their last two games leading up to the Dance (losses to Washington and Cal). For the entire year I was touting the Bruins as the best team in America, even after they came to Eugene and left with an L. On Florida's side, they have the championship swagger and the experience. However, I think the experience cancels out because UCLA was here last year also. It was an advantage up until now against Jackson State, Purdue, Butler, and Oregon but UCLA has been there, done that. As far as the swagger goes, UCLA has it just as much as Florida. The Gators are not playing with the attitude that they did during last year's tournament, and UCLA is coming off a dominant performance against the uber-talented Jayhawks.

So how do these teams match-up? Florida beat Oregon with solid perimeter play. Green and Humphrey played outstanding and were knocking down their shots. However, UCLA is the best perimeter defensive team in America. They will not allow Florida's guards to get the looks they did against Oregon, who inexplicably continued to go under ball screens. UCLA won't do that. Florida will have to win this game with Noah, Horford, and the rest of their big men. They have been good in the tournament, but nowhere near as good as they can be. Maybe they don't have the same fire as they did last year. Maybe they are on the verge of completely exploding for huge games in Atlanta. The bottom line is they haven't played like they can, and they are going to have to step up big time to beat the Bruins. Florida's advantage is down low and they will need to utilize that to win because, as good as UCLA is, they have nothing for Noah and Horford. Matta, Aboya, and Mbah-Moute are serviceable but not on their level.

In my bracket, I have Florida winning this game (have I mentioned that I picked all four Final Four teams?) and I am going to stick with, though I am nowhere near as confident in the pick as I was at the beginning of the tournament. I love where UCLA is at and I haven't been overly impressed with how Florida has played thus far. Frankly, if I hadn't filled out a bracket I might pick UCLA in this one. But I'm sticking to my guns and going with Florida. I think Noah and Horford will have solid games. It will be close all the way to the end. As I said a couple of days ago, UCLA games will always be close because of the Bruins' style of play. Florida will have just enough, and they will move on to face Ohio State in the title game.

Yup, Florida-Ohio State. Just like football. Obviously, I am not going to make a pick for that match-up because it isn't even official yet. What's the point in making predictions for a game that may or may not happen? Yeah, I know, ESPN did it with their remarkably pointless fictitious college football playoff but I'm not as cool as them so I can't do it. Just take it to the bank. Florida-Ohio State.

No comments: